Reservations are required three business days in advance of the date and time of your requested trip, unless you have been discharged from the hospital within the past 3 days. (Business Days are Monday through Friday.)
Reservations can be made only during Business Days (Monday through Friday) between the hours of 7:45am and 5pm HST. Trip requests cannot be scheduled outside of these times and you will be instructed to call back when the reservations phone line is open to book your trip.
When contacting IntelliRide, we will ask questions to verify your identity, such as:
- Your date of birth
- Your first and last name
- Your phone number
- Your Medicaid or Medicare ID number
To help us properly schedule your trip(s), please have the following information available:
- Your pick-up address
- Your doctor’s or facility’s name, address, and telephone number
- The type of service
- The date and time of your medical appointment
- The end time of your appointment, if known
- Any special equipment or people that will ride with you
- The name of your preferred transportation provider, if any
You may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the travel cost to go to your approved medically necessary appointment. You would need to contact IntelliRide to request approval for reimbursement prior to your travel. Should you have a medical need to have an escort, you and one approved escort may be reimbursed for your meals. The limit is $15 per person per day. You must submit your itemized receipts to IntelliRide within 30 days of your return. Summary receipts (receipts excluding the specific items purchased) will not be accepted.
Have a friend, neighbor or relative drive you to your appointment. The driver will get 50 cents for each mile they drive you. Call the Reservations line for assistance or more information.
Where you can schedule trips, make changes, check on your ride all on your own using our Self-Service Portal and Ecolane App. You must register for an account with Reservations in order to begin using the portal.
Members should call the appropriate reservations line for assistance with setting up your account.
- Medicaid: 808-763-2100
- Medicare: 808-763-2101
- You will need to provide an email address.
- Write down your log-in information.
- The reservationists will email you a link to access your online account.
- Click on the link and change your password. If you forget your password, click on ‘Forgot Password?’ to reset the password.
Benefits of the Self-Service Portal
- Ability to make reservations
- Cancel reservations
- Modify reservations
- View trip information such as the time of arrival—please keep in mind that times are subject to change on the day of service.
- Family, friends, or caregivers can make reservations, cancel, modify and view the website, if you give them consent.
On the day of your trip, please be ready at least 10-15 minutes before your driver arrives. Your driver will wait up to 15 minutes before departing.
If you have waited more than 15 minutes after your scheduled pick-up time, please call the appropriate information line.
If you are scheduled to ride with TheCab, please call (808) 422-2222. Inform TheCab dispatcher that you are riding with IntelliRide and that you are ready for pickup. They will dispatch a vehicle to your pick-up location.
Medicaid: 808-973-0712 Option #2
In the event that a transportation provider is late, a dedicated phone line is available to inquire about the status of your ride. Please call member services line for transportation and once you reach the IntelliRide recording select option #2. Please “DO NOT” call the transportation company directly. IntelliRide must document the time of your call and dispatch the closest vehicle, so we minimize wait time.
The reservations center is closed on the following days:
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day
- New Year’s Day
Your request to schedule transportation will not be completed and the agent will advise you that you must call back during the day after the holiday and IntelliRide will apply the “same day/urgent” request policy if the request applies.
Once your appointment is finished, you should call the member services line for transportation and request transportation be sent to pick you up. The transportation provider will be dispatched. To help decrease the total wait time, please call as soon as you know you are ready to be picked up. Please note, transportation providers have up to sixty minutes (60) to arrive for your return ride.
Such trips should be true urgent conditions (not 911) where a physician is requiring you to be seen the same day or the next day. We understand that appointments open and we are dedicated to working closely with Facilities and provide the member will the most efficient service experience. IntelliRide will verify that the doctor’s office has an appointment schedule with you, confirming nothing has changed before the trip request is scheduled.
IntelliRide is dedicated to supporting the medical community, it is important for us to work together and understand that purpose of the “urgent trips”, which is less that the 48 hours noticed required when scheduling non-medical transportation:
- Doctors’ appointments deemed urgent by physician
- Dialysis (any change to the schedule, please notify IntelliRide immediately)
- Wound care
- Chemotherapy (any change to the schedule, please notify IntelliRide immediately)
The level of service describes the type of service needed to transport a member. A member can travel by one of several levels of service based on their physical needs. See below:
- Mass Transit – Where available and suitable for the physical condition of the member. We will provide monthly Bus passes to all applicable. This will be the mode of transportation for ambulatory members who reside less than 3/4 of a mile from a transit stop, 3/4 of a mile from the medical office and can walk that distance unescorted. IntelliRide’s system can determine your eligibility and if you refuse to take this service, you must get a “Medical Necessity Form” from your primary physician and your doctor must send this form to AlohaCare for approval. Until IntelliRide receives the approved “Medical Necessity Form”, you are required to take “The Bus”.
- Handi Van – Handi Van eligible riders can be sent Handi Van coupons for all trips scheduled through IntelliRide. Just let the IntelliRide reservation specialist know you are eligible to ride “Handi Van” and they will work with you to get the right amount of passes out to you via mail.
- Mileage Reimbursement – friend or family member can transport the eligible AlohaCare member to their medical appointment and be reimbursed a “per mile” rate of $0.50 per mile. Drivers current Insurance, Registration, Driver license and W-9 form is required.
- Ambulatory – This is a member who is able to walk on their own or with the assistance of a walker or cane and able to be picked up and dropped off at the curb. This is curb-to- curb transportation.
- Ambulatory Door to Door – This level of service requires a medical necessity form to be on file. The medical necessity form is completed by a medical professional who has determined that the ADD level of service is medically necessary. This service requires the driver to assist you from the door the of your home to the door of the medical office. The driver is “NOT” allowed to go through the door, ride in an elevator to additional floors in the medical facility or assist through several doors which leads to the check in desk, etc.
- Wheelchair – Available to members confined to a wheelchair that due to either physical weakness or mental impairment they must travel with their own wheelchair. If assistance is needed, the member is required to have an escort 21 years or older. IntelliRide does not provide escort services.
- Stretcher – Available to members who cannot transport in a wheelchair due to either a physical weakness or may be bedridden and do not require any monitoring during transport.
- Inter-Island transports – Prior authorization from AlohaCare is required for Inter-Island transports.
- Non-Emergent ALS/BLS Ambulance – Only available when a facility or hospital requests this level of service
- Air Ambulance – Prior Authorization is required for Air Ambulance transports
Member’s transportation can be arranged with IntelliRide for the following islands: Oahu, Maui, Molokai, Lanai, Kauai, East Hawaii (Kona) and West Hawaii (HILO)